Thursday, December 23, 2010

Elba Nile Kingman Crow: Sketch of My Life continued, 1955-1977


Sketch of My Life, 1955-1977
by Elba Nile Kingman Crow (1884-1977)

[My husband] Howard had a stroke in May 1960 – After resting all summer he was able to go to the office but he aged greatly. However we had a lovely Christmas in Westfield New Jersey with our family. Our last with them.

My darling passed away November 9, 1963. Stricken at home Oct 26 – oxygen, intravenous feeding & three nurses couldn’t save him. Burial at Crown Hill. Memorial at the Church Nov 12. Half of me went into that ground. I will try to carry on as best I can. 

Sister Hortense, after cancer operations in 1961 & 1963 returned for observation in Nov 1965. Report “inoperable with only few months to live.” She was home with me until April. Feeling so much better she returned home. But in May became ill again and called me. Twice in Morrow County Hospital and then home with nurses until her death June 3, 1968. From May 1966 I spent most of my time with her - a rather difficult way to live but she needed me. Unfortunately, I was stricken with a coronary in April 1968 – four weeks in Morrow County Hospital then to 124 West High. I was so glad that I was able to do what was required of one when sister died. In October I sold almost all of her antiques at a private sale, as requested. After two years I spent Christmas with the Austins (1968) in Westfield, NJ – a very busy family and quite hectic at times. But I was so happy to be with them. Howard graduates OWU in June & enters U of Penn – Medical in the Fall. Marshall soph at Lafayette College in Pa. Nancy a typical teenage about to enter H.S.

On October 24, 1969 I was stricken with a coronary. Huron Rd & then shifted to Beach Haven Nursing Home which I hated. Mary Alice came to see me and later to take me home. Mary Blackburn, practical nurse, was with me five days a week and Sola Pimpton 2 days. Finally did without Sola, but had another attack on New Year’s Day, and when I came back Mary Blackburn was with me until 25 of March. At this writing (May 18, 1970) I am feeling pretty good – tire easily and do not go out much. Sola is back each week & we are clearing out getting ready to sell the house. My piano is gone – hated to see it go.

Sold the house to Mr. and Mrs. Earl Kiefer who took possession Sept 15, 1970. Mary Alice came out to help me and we moved Sept 15 – a very hot day. Mary Alice worked so hard and was such a wonderful help. She had everything so well arranged. I moved to 12700 Shaker Blvd, 605. I am getting acquainted now & like it better than I did at first. On Jan 13 had to have nail removed from a big toe – toe very sore but today (February 14, 1971) is much better.

May 1972: Have been very happy in my apartment – some bad luck being mugged & robbed of my handbag. Fortunately I got the bag back – nothing gone of course. Then two diamond rings were stolen. One single diamond – mamma's engagement ring & a dinner ring of 17 small diamonds given to me by my sister. Because I could show no evidence of breaking in I lost insurance on them. I am very grateful & happy that I have my engagement ring which I wear all the time.

I am so proud of my two embryo doctors – Howard in University of Pa. Medical & Marshall Duke Medical. Then my lovely granddaughter who will enter Clark in the Fall. Although in my eighty-eight year, I feel pretty well but use a cane, which steadies me a lot. Glad to be able to spend ten days in Westfield July 10-20, 1972.

Christmas 1972: With the Austins – delighted to greet my new granddaughter – Marshall’s wife – married in San Jose California Dec 27 – quiet family wedding. Austin’s had two big parties for them when they came to Westfield. Linda is a lovely girl.

June 1973: Howard became a doctor. Dr. H.M Austin.

Cleveland Press clipping from March 28, 1974: “Woman, 80, loses purse in tug of war”

Elba Nile Kingman Crow died peacefully while taking a nap on May 10, 1977

No comments:

Post a Comment